The best place to shop for Chinese New Year decorations would undoubtedly be from Petaling Street (Chinatown) or Jalan Sultan area in Kuala Lumpur. With Christmas just over, the shops would now be focusing on the sale of Chinese New Year decorative items. The variety and choices are huge because for decades Chinatown has been the go-to places not only to shop for decorations but cooking and baking supplies to prepare for Chinese New Year.
When I was young, my mom would bring me to Chai Huat Hin (located in Jalan Tun HS Lee near Chinatown) to shop for items to cook for the Chinese reunion dinner or to buy specific type of gifts such as Macau’s almond biscuits. We do not have much decorations in the house but the occasional decorations that we had were usually bought from there.
However now there are alternatives aside from Petaling Street or Chinatown for Chinese New Year preparation. I’ve compiled based on past exploration that I hope would be helpful in your CNY preparation if you are staying in Klang Valley.
- available at MrDIY outlets
- about 3 craft stores in Petaling Jaya Old Town in Jalan 1/12 (Sin Wah, Carrot and Hewsonix Store)
- departmental stores like AEON
Baking supplies and ingredients:
Everything from baking ingredients, containers and decorative items to make your own CNY cookies:
- House of Ingredients (HOI) located in Bandar Sri Damansara
- Bake with Yen outlets
Gift items to bring for visiting homes during CNY:
- A snack supplier in PJ Old Town where I go to for Macau Almond biscuits
- AEON stores
- Speedmart 99 (seriously yes, because they have items that are suitable like Danish cookies to bring for visiting)
Happy Chinese New Year and may you be blessed with health and happiness always.