We usually bought our baking supplies- flour, cookies and cake mixes, nuts, raisins, baking utensils from Bake With Yen- a baking supplier store with branches in Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya. As a spinoff from selling banking supplies, they also offer various baking and cake decorating classes at a much more reasonable price compared to those offered by ‘professional centers’.
If you do not require professional paper certification but only want to learn to bake for your family or start your own little side business to bake and sell to others, then such classes are good for those with limited budgets.
Details are as follows:
Bake with Yen (KL) SB
Also Check Out:
30 & 32, Persiaran Puteri Satu,
47100 Puchong, Selangor.
For example, in their March schedule, they have something like this (I actually copied it from the notice pasted on the wall only to realise that it is available online):
1. Agar agar flowers RM30
2. Tart making class RM30
3. Cake decorating class for 4 hours RM60
- use non-diary whipping cream to decorate a book shaped cake. Participant get to take home a book shaped cake
4. Bread making class RM30
5. Steam butter cream (hands on) RM70 (10am to 5pm)
- making steamed butter cream covering cake with butter cream.
- decorating cake with different flowers, eg roses and leaves.
6. Simple cake using modern decoration (RM30) (10am to 1pm)
- fruit flan
- kiwi cake
- blueberry cake
- black forest
Usually, the class may require that you bring along certain things like nozzle (certain sizes are specified), apron, towel. Certain items like the nozzle of a certain size you may need to buy directly from the shop.
Therefore, if you are looking for reasonably priced cookery classes, a trick is to explore either direct selling companies that are selling cookware or baking supply stores. They usually offer the classes at reasonable prices with the aim to get you to buy more products.